Monday, May 12, 2008

Directionless

My dilemma is either my realization of something dark and cynical - or I'm just having a bad day… er month.
Every single soul has posed this question to him/herself at some point of their lives - what is the purpose of my existence? I'll go a step ahead - what is the purpose of all existence?
One of my favorite phrases of all time has been - "Don't sit around waiting for the greater meaning of life - or for any underlying truth - life is simple - it is now - this is it - and it's ticking away - going right by you - grasp it while you still can". So why is it today that I raise this question - am I not convinced with my own statement… I agree with it - what I am saying is completely truthful - but is definitely not the complete truth.
People find answer to this question in ridiculously fantastical things - God for instance - the whole story somewhat differently portrayed by each relegion - but eventually - it tries to answer the same question. Some are slightly less imaginative and go with the alien or science-fictional theories - and sometimes borrow images from the crazy sources like the Star Wars or the Matrix for instance.
"Borrow" is such an appropriate word here - these are all borrowed ideas - borrowed answers to rationalize our existence - to pass through each day - without questioning the need for your actions. And hats off to the ancient humans - these guys had the foresight to develop "rules" which would support this ignorance for millenia. Morals - relegious virtues - the path to god - to redemption - the sins - the mitzvahs - the truth - some went to the extent of defining the stages of life - "good" and "bad" choices. Everything to make one's life as predictable as possible. If we are all so brilliantly different from each other - DNA and all that - then why do we indulge in groupism - why do we borrow ideas - why have we been conditioned to think within patterns - sometimes patterns which counter other patterns - causing the momentary pleasure of difference.
So again - is it just me being cynical or is there something seriously wrong here…?

No comments: